- December 6th, 20:57
Finally back to actually try reading posts! Did not realize it's been OCTOBER since I last did that - my flist only goes back as far as mid-Nov. but I tried to click and read through on some of your entries farther back than that to catch up. It was good to read how you've all been doing, and I'm so sorry to know that things have been rough for many of you.
I've a lot to update on myself, so lemme do a numbered list as I've found that makes it easier for me to organize my thoughts:
1. I HAVE A LAPTOP!!!!! Early xmas present from my mom and step-dad. They know how badly I've been needing something to connect to the net from the sofa or bed with and it is SO. Nice. to be able to do that now! It's new, and it's very nice - just basic stuff because I don't do any hardcore gaming or graphics work or anything of the sort. So it's simple, but it's got Windows 8 (I'm running XP on the desktop still) and I've got a nice lap desk to keep it on and that makes it very comfy on the sofa.
It's just so exciting and wonderful and now I can have access to the net and the games I like to play even when I go away from home. Aaaaannnnnd - my hope is that this will mean my keeping up to date with stuff a lil better since I can do so from the sofa where it's more comfy and where I can do it while watching TV a lil easier.
Dave kindly got it all set up for me and synched my firefox browser up with the desktop so all of my preferences and bookmarks and such came right over and when I change something on one - it changes on the other automatically.
I've been sick all week, so it's just been so nice to sit on the sofa watching Christmas movies and clicking on games or scrolling thru my tumblr dash.
Cleo keeps stepping on it tho, which is driving me bonkers! *-9- (see? she just did that and also pulled up the options menu and switched me to a different tab and scrolled down the page! arrrrgggggh!)
2. Thanksgiving itself was very nice. That evening, my mom and step-dad and I went out to eat at a local place (The Great Dane in Fitchburg) that had a T-day buffet. They had loads of vegetarian and vegan options and it was all so delicious! My fave was the lager mushroom gravy over their creamy mashed potatoes.
Friday, I mostly lazed about mom and step-dad's house while they did holiday prep and then Saturday everyone (step-bro and his fiancee, bro, sil, and nieces) came over. I had a blast with my nieces, as usual. Monkeyniece is getting so big and mature like a little lady. She still gives me lots of hugs and likes to play and color with me, which is nice. Flowerniece is still uber shy when she first meets us, but she gets over it quicker and once she's out of her shell - she is OUT - hams it up, screams like a banshee, jumps on the furniture, makes everyone laugh, demands attention, etc. I spent a bit of time splitting attention between the two but also managed to visit with the adults here and there. Sunday was computer shopping time and then home. :)
3. On Monday, my mom is coming to spend the day with me. I have a doc appt. but we're also going to do our big annual Christmas shopping trip. I have not started yet, so hopefully my energy lasts long enough to get a big chunk done.
Also hopefully this cold that I brought home with me doesn't linger through till then. My voice is all but gone and my face is a big ball of phlegm. I'm taking extra vitamins, putting raw garlic in all my food, doing salt water gargles all day long, and trying to drink lots of fluids between administrations of cough drops.
4. Christmas movies!! I've gotten very organized about it this year. I have a little notebook where I keep track of what I still need to record, what I've gotten, what I've watched, and little reviews to remind myself what I like most and least for next year. There are SO many Christmas movies and specials - with new ones coming out on multiple networks each year. And I just love them!
I haven't started decorating yet. I won't do the tree again this year because of how Cleo eats them - but I'll get some lights to put up and the non-tree decorations, and some ornaments up on hooks on the wall. Hopefully I will, anyway, if my energy levels allow me to.
Also still hoping to do cards this year, but we'll see. Right now I'm lucky to get my teeth brushed every day and a load of dishes done once a week.
5. TV shows, too. I'll try and do an update post of what I'm watching soon.
Oh, and books! And movies!
I spent about a month re-reading The Hunger Games series in preparation for the movie - reread all three of them several times. And then went to Catching Fire with friends opening weekend. It was AH-MAY-ZING. Maybe I'll make a post about that sometime too.
6. Still really enjoying tumblr a lot - forming some good communities of folks - especially a group of fellow Veronica Mars fans who are doing lots of fun metas and gifsets as we all freak out about the movie coming out (MARCH 14TH). And it's fun to have folks to talk with about any fandom or other interests I have.
I've never been great at graphics and don't really do fanfic, but I've found I have an affinity for meta. I like that tumblr is very into the meta, much as it's such a visual medium. But people are still happy to read long rambling thinky thoughts about fandom and pass them on and add to them and discuss things in tiny detail at great length. I like how preparing a good meta gets me thinking productively and creatively again. It's like working on a research paper for school - only it's about TV shows and books!
7. Because I'm sick, Shay isn't coming to our place this week. Our other friend that she stays with is finicky about catching things and since I've set a 3-day-ish limit on how long she can stay here - getting sick is problematic. Hopefully, I'll be feeling better by next week so she can come again. Especially since Dave will be gone from Weds. to the following Weds. - going to visit a friend in AZ. It'll be nice for Shay to stay in his room while he's gone since normally she has to either sleep with Angie or camp out in the easy chair. We're still working on getting her on disability (she's had her first denial and having trouble getting a lawyer to take her case) and into some housing and other forms of assistance. It's going to take some time, and it's not easy going for any of us - most especially for Shay of course. So continued good thoughts, advice if you have it to share, financial assistance if that's a thing you can do, etc. are still very welcome.
8. Cleo continues to show many symptoms of aging. She howls all the time, has clumps of fur coming off all over the place, and gets easily confused. But she's still her usual mischievous self - getting our attention any way she can for snuggles and occasional play time, so that's good. We're due for a vet check, but we're putting it off until January. I hope she'll be okay until then.
9. Physically, even without this cold, things are rough. Energy continues to be low. Pain continues to be high. I think my opiates aren't working as well - I think my tolerance levels have increased because not only is the pain worse but the constipation side effect has gotten better. I could live with the latter - but not when there is such poor pain control alongside it. Also, I'm getting more migraines than migraine meds per month. So my doc appointment on Monday should be interesting. He's usually so great about this stuff, but it's still scary to go in knowing I have to ask for more meds. blah.
10. But I am doing better emotionally. Things got a bit overwhelming for awhile there, and they still aren't exactly easy right now, but they're more stable. I've even had some success working on some PTSD issues on my own - some body acceptance exercises finally sunk in some important messages and have made me more comfy with my body. I need to keep going with it while I'm on a roll before I close back off again, but it's been pretty amazing. :)
That's enough for now and probably everything possible I have to talk about anyway!